Digital television offers image and sound quality that is far superior to the analogue TV reception of the past. However, the digital TV signal can suffer from a problem that didn’t occur with the old analogue system. This malady is known as the digital cliff.
The digital cliff refers to the outer edge of the range of the nearest television transmission tower. If you happen to live in this area, your TV signal can abruptly disappear, and you can completely lose your picture and sound. A drop in the temperature as evening falls, and even changes in the weather can cause this loss of signal, which is referred to as falling off the digital cliff.
Digital TV reception
A digital TV signal is made up of a series of digits that are filled with information to ensure a quality television picture and sound. If there is a lot of distance between an antenna and a digital transmitter, the information within the digits corrects the problems to maintain a quality picture.
However, if there are a lot of errors, the digits break down and the picture will suddenly disappear.
Unlike the old analogue system, where a picture might be snowy but still watchable if the signal dropped out, a loss of digital signal means no picture or sound at all.
Reasons for poor TV reception
There are many reasons why your TV reception can vary:
- Your home is located in a valley, and the terrain is blocking your reception.
- You’re using an indoor antenna and the signal is unable to transmit through the building materials.
- Your antenna isn’t pointing toward the digital transmitting towers.
- Your home is situated more than 80 kilometres from a transmitting tower and you don’t have a long-range antenna. This means your signal can be affected by fluctuations in temperature, winds, rain and storms.
- Other wireless or electrical equipment in and around your home may be absorbing or interfering with your TV signal.
Ask a professional
Because there are many reasons why abrupt TV signal loss can occur, it’s important to consult a professional to establish the cause, whether it’s the weather or cold temperatures at night.
The solution may be as simple as exchanging your old television antenna with a new one more suited to receiving the digital service in your neighbourhood. At New Image Antennas, our fully qualified technicians can supply an antenna and install it in the best position to maximise your TV reception, and help prevent your TV signal from falling off the digital cliff.
Call us 1800 351 121 to install your TV antenna for optimal reception.